I love the holidays. Love, love, love the holidays. I’m in my full glory from Thanksgiving Eve right through the New Year. My favorite part—besides the true meaning of the season, family, friends, blah, blah—is the shopping. I get caught right up in the frenzy of the crowds on the hunt for just the right gift for everyone on my list.
And although every year I tell myself I won’t, I always end up buying something for myself—actually, a lot more than just something. After all, how can I resist treating myself to a few new outfits (plus shoes and accessories) for all the holiday soirees? ’Tis the season, and I must do my part to help this not-so-jolly economy.
Which is why, when the lovely ladies from Skirt—one of the most fashionable boutiques on the Main Line, I might add—sent out their “must-have” list for the upcoming holiday fashion season, I checked the list (twice) to make sure I had everything covered. Here’s what the ladies recommend:
1. Haute holiday color. Add a splash of purple—a dress, a piece of jewelry, or a bag or cardigan—and you’ll feel like the fashionista you are.
2. LBD (little black dress). Used correctly, the LBD is timeless. It can be taken from day to night, fancy to casual; and by accessorizing, you can make it whatever you want it to be.
3. The trouser jean. Think midnight blue and inky black. This tailored jean takes casual elegance to a new level. Pair it with a fabulous jewel-toned silk blouse to complete the updated yet classic look.
4. Big baubles. Bring new life to this year’s LBD. Oversized pearls, crystals, embellished cuffs, brooches with regal flair, and bangles all add an impressive signature style to everything from the classic white shirt to vintage velvet.
5. Colored tights. They can make an outfit dressy and stylish, elongate the body or pull an outfit together.
Although it didn’t make the list, cashmere is in style no matter what the season. Skirt is offering complimentary monogramming on all cashmere sweaters, scarves (like the really cool ones from Love Quotes that all the celebs are wearing) and pashminas. What better way to personalize a gift for someone or yourself!
Skirt, 931 Lancaster Ave., Bryn Mawr; (610) 520-0222, shop-skirt.com.
Are you looking for the perfect gift for the special guy in your life? Call off the search and invest in a handsome watch from Cunningham Timewear. Designed by Main Liner Rich Cunningham Jr., these masculine timepieces have sleek, geometric stainless-steel faces and solid-black leather bands. The best part? They look much more expensive than the $80 price tag. And with that budget-friendly price, you’ll have enough money left over to treat yourself to a watch from the women’s collection. Available at racunningham.com.
Summer flash sale ... subscribe and save 50%
Limited time offer. New subscribers only.