An anonymous Main Liner writes: I am tired of giving chain-store gift cards to my clients and friends, and would like some suggestions on unique gift-certificate options.
When it really is the thought that counts, I tend to suggest places and vendors with services that gift-card recipients may not seek out on their own but would surely take advantage of. Here are some ideas.
1. I don’t think the namesake of Antoine Amrani Chocolates would mind me calling him a chocolate savant. An artisan of the highest order, Amrani is a shy, quiet genius with a factory in nearby Audubon. Check out his delectable corporate and personal gift selections. Visit aachocolates.com.
2. Sugartown Smoked Specialties is one of the best in the country at what it offers: the finest-quality smoked meats, fish and fowl. Visit smokedfoods.com.
3. I know of no car detailer who can produce the flawless results achieved by Ken Cocchi and his meticulous team of technicians at Auto Appearance in Bala Cynwyd. A gift card will make someone’s four-wheeled baby very happy. Call (610) 668-3909.
4. Eyewear counters are everywhere—the mall, the supermarket, even BJ’s. This is partly why I recommend Whitaker Eye Works, a small indie operation tucked into Wayne’s Gateway Shopping Center. Owner Steve Whitaker’s selection is vast and interesting. Visit whitakereyeworks.com.
5. Savvy pet people swear by the quality products and caring customer service at Cutter’s Mill. If someone you know loves their animal, they’ll surely appreciate a gift card to this specialty store in Paoli. Visit cuttersmillpetstore.com.
7. Throughout my concierge career, I’ve continually recommended Plaza Flowers as my No. 1 florist. The outstanding variety and freshness, along with a 100-percent client-satisfaction rate, bring me back to this haven for buds and blooms in Audubon. Visit pflorist.com.
What non-chain stores do you buy unique gift cards from? Let us know by leaving a comment below.
» More Hospitality Questions Answered
Summer flash sale ... subscribe and save 50%
Limited time offer. New subscribers only.