Nectar, 1091 Lancaster Ave.,
Berwyn; (610) 725-9000;
Spring Roll Filling
1 head green cabbage in thin strips
8 button, 4 porcini, 8 chanterelle
mushrooms (1/8-inch thick)
1 tsp. cilantro
2 oz. olive oil
Salt and pepper
Store-bought spring roll wrappers
Quince Duck Sauce Cooking Liquid
2 cups sugar, 1 cup white wine
vinegar, 1 cup orange juice
1 quart water
1 star anise
1-inch sliced ginger
Zest from 1 orange
• In a hot pan, add olive oil then mushrooms; caramelize until golden brown.
• Strain off olive oil and discard.
• Set mushrooms aside.
• Drop cabbage into two quarts boiling water, then quickly place in two quarts chilled water.
• Squeeze out excess water in a linen.
• Combine mushrooms, cabbage, cilantro and salt and pepper (to taste).
• Place filling on wrappers and roll; fold ends, then seal edges with cold water.
• Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
• Place quince in the liquid, cover with parchment paper and a round plate (smaller than the pot) to weigh down quince so it cooks evenly.
• Cook until you can push a fork into the center with little resistance, but before skin starts to peel. Cool quince and store liquid separately.
• Boil 1 quart quince liquid, 1 cup white wine vinegar and 1 quince with core.
• Add slurry (½ cup cornstarch, ½ cup water combined until smooth), let simmer for two minutes and blend. Add two fresh Thai chilies for a fun kick.