Kenneth Gilberg has held various leadership positions in Golden Slipper Club and Charities, a Bala Cynwyd-based nonprofit. He currently serves as president and executive director of the organization, balancing his charitable work with his job as a labor attorney.
1. Lee Child’s Jack Reacher novels. “Jack Reacher is just a unique fictional character who’s trying to mind his own business but somehow gets into situations where he helps people. They’re just easy, fun reads.”
2. Skunk Hollow Park. “I’ve taken my children there, and now my granddaughter.”
3. Billions and The Money Heist. “I don’t watch that much television, but these are two shows I currently enjoy.”
4. Booker’s Bourbon. “I’m a bourbon aficionado.”
5. Golden Slipper Spirit of Champions. “This year, we honored Howie Roseman with our Spirit of Champions award, along with the Philadelphia Eagles for their charitable efforts in the community.”
MLT: What are the goals of Golden Slipper Charities?
KG: Golden Slipper was started 96 years ago by a group of men who were playing poker, and they set aside part of their winnings to buy coal for people who weren’t able to. Since then, we’ve been assisting those in need in many other ways. We have Golden Slipper Camp, an overnight camp in the Poconos, we provide college scholarships, we have enrichment programs and services for seniors, and we provide medical supplies and basic needs for those less fortunate.
MLT: What is the Golden Slipper Camp?
KG: I like to think about Golden Slipper Camp as a magical place where children of all different shapes, sizes and colors get to be themselves. They enjoy nutritious meals, fun activities and programs, and they support each other with unconditional love. I always say that if we could bottle up the magic of Golden Slipper Camp, the world would truly be a better place.
MLT: What’s the most rewarding part of your work?
KG: It’s very rewarding when I see the children that come to us, some who don’t always get three meals in a day, or come from very difficult circumstances, and see the magic of Golden Slipper Camp. It’s rewarding when we help people with medical supplies and realize how helpful the work is.