Hey, homeowners: Want to be ahead of the game come spring? Interior designer Carrie McNamara of Rahr/McNamara Home in Wayne offers a sneak peek at what she thinks will be 2011’s top home design trends.
1. Green is good. Expect the eco-friendly movement to be as relevant as ever, as more and more homeowners seek out sustainable options. “We’re also continuing to bring nature into home design through materials, furniture and accessories,” says McNamara.
2. Stuck in neutral. “Gray is the new beige,” says McNamara. “It’s a cool color that provides a clean, crisp look.” She also suggests adding pop with pillows, small furniture pieces, and trays in colors like eggplant, raspberry, orange and yellow.
3. Bathing beauty. Bathrooms are at the top of the list when it comes to home renovations in 2011. Think sleek carrera marble tile floors and freestanding tubs “Clients are planning really posh master bathrooms,” says McNamara. “They want to feel like they have a spa in their home.”
4. Back from the brink. Wallpaper is set to make a big comeback this year. “It’s great to hang a really fun wallpaper that’s over-the-top in small spaces like a hall bathroom,” says McNamara. And grass cloth is a classic choice for the dining room.
5. Time to streamline. It’s all about order and non-clutter in the home this year. A worthwhile investment is an outfitted closet with an organization system. “Built-ins in bedrooms are also really popular,” says McNamara. “People are getting rid of their dressers and bureaus, and keeping things really simple.”