Poulet Wellington, Peter Gilmore, Gilmore’s
133 E. Gay St., West Chester; (610) 431-2800, gilmoresrestaurant.com
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 box Pepperidge Farm puff pastry, thawed at room temperature
1 lb. button mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
4 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
6 tbps. butter
2 tsps. truffle oil
Salt and pepper to taste
• Sauté mushrooms in butter over medium-high heat, turning frequently until moisture is evaporated and mushrooms caramelize. Season with salt and pepper, then strain over a bowl.
• Sauté shallots in butter until golden brown and place in bowl with mushrooms. Fold in truffle oil, adding salt and pepper to taste.
• Season chicken with salt and pepper. Over medium heat, slowly sauté in butter five minutes per side or until center turns pink. Cool before handling.
• Cover top of each breast with duxelles, pressing firmly. Set aside.
• Lay out puff pastry on lightly floured surface. Trim around breast, leaving an extra 3 inches on each side.
• Place each breast on pastry, duxelle side down. Fold long sides into the middle and tuck the ends, trimming excess.
• Brush with egg wash and bake in a 375-degree convection oven for 16 minutes (longer in a conventional oven) until pastry is puffed and brown.