LOADING

Type to search

Unionville’s Sovana Bistro Destroyed by Fire

Share

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by sovanabistro (@sovanabistro) on

 

Early on the morning of Friday, Jan. 3, a two-alarm fire significantly damaged the popular Sovana Bistro restaurant in the Willowdale Town Center in Unionville.

Between 120 and 150 fire and emergency personnel responded to the blaze. No injuries were reported on the scene, but the restaurant was destroyed by the flames.

The award-winning upscale bistro opened in January 1998 by Nick Farrell. The Glen Mills native and his restaurant are known for seasonal dishes using local ingredients, housemade pastas, wood-fired pizzas, creative craft cocktails and a diverse wine list.

Since news of the fire, the restaurant shared via Facebook, “We are currently assessing the situation and will be in communication with you, our raving fans, as things unfold. You can rest assured that when we do return, we will be even better than we ever were before.”

An outpouring of community support has since ensued, with restaurants—including the Gables at Chadds Ford and Harvest Seasonal Grill—hosting the restaurant’s team and offering temporary employment for displaced staff as Sovana rebuilds.

Friends and family launched a Go Fund Me to support the Sovana Bistro team. Look for fundraisers at other local establishments in the coming weeks, as well.