In an increasingly popular trend, many Americans eschew alcohol throughout the first month of the year in what’s been dubbed “Dry January.” While doing so can have its benefits, it can also make going out or entertaining more difficult. The next time you’re entertaining, whip upBoardroom Spirits’alcohol-free Juicy BerryJawninstead. It still packs plenty offlavor—minus the spirits.
- 1 ounce blackberry shrub*
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- Club soda
*If blackberry shrub is not available, you can make your own by following this recipe:
Ingredients to Make Blackberry Shrub
- 2 ¾ cups blackberries
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
Procedure to Make Blackberry Shrub
- Add blackberries, water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook on low heat until the berries are soft, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to slightly mash the berries.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, pour the mixture through the strainer.
- Discard solids and return liquid to saucepan. Add balsamic vinegar,thenincrease the heat to medium-low, bringing mixture to a simmer.
- Let mixture cool, then chill.
- Mix blackberry shrub and lemon juice.
- Add mixture to a Collins glass (a tall, slim tumbler).
- Pour club soda over mixture to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Boardroom Spirits, 575 W. 3rdSt., Lansdale.