Boy, did Gullifty’s ever luck out; today is the annual grand opening of its outdoor Beer Gaarden, and the weather is just perfect. Not only did Mother Nature cooperate, but owner Gene Johnson’s daughter, Tiffany, also got me a copy of the new menu and some of last year’s photos to get a little hype going.
New this season is the grass-fed burger, inspired by Johnson’s personal quest to eat healthier. I hope to do a bigger story on that in the near future, but for now, all you need to know is that he did his homework and has some fantastic-tasting beef in store for you—thanks to the beef savvy folks at Lancaster Farm Fresh Cooperative (which was my CSA last year, and a very good one at that!).
Here’s a look at the different iterations of Gullifty’s popular two-hander:
• Bourbon BBQ: Basted in homemade bourbon barbecue sauce and topped with grilled red onion and cheddar cheese ($11)
• Mexican: Jalapeño peppers, Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses, topped with salsa ($11)
• Red, Bacon & Blue: House-made drummy sauce, blue cheese crumbles and Applewood-smoked bacon ($11.5)
• Pesto Roni: Sliced pepperoni with basil pesto genovese and Swiss cheese ($11.5)
• Spicy Avocado: Cajun spices, avocado and a tomato slice ($11)
Speaking of beef, I’m liking the sound of the French Breton Salad, a composite of roasted beets, grilled asparagus, goat cheese, candied pecans, romaine lettuce and field greens, tossed with balsamic vinaigrette dressing and topped with filet tips of beef and a red-onion ring. The sandwiches sound great, too, especially “The Cajun.” Here they are:
• Gaarden Buffalo Chicken Sandwich: House-cut grilled chicken breast basted with homemade buffalo drummy sauce, topped with melted fresh mozzarella cheese, a red-onion ring and field greens, and served on a ciabatta roll ($10.5)
• Morocco Taco: Grilled pita bread with a creamy hummus spread, roasted pepper, feta cheese, field greens and balsamic vinaigrette ($8.5)
• Bourbon BBQ Chicken Salad: Homemade bourbon barbecue-chicken salad served on a Le Bus country white bun and topped with melted cheddar jack cheese and crispy Applewood-smoked bacon ($9.5)
• The Cajun: Five grilled Cajun shrimp on a Le bus bun with roasted pepper basil aioli, field greens and a red onion slice ($12)
• The Kevito Pita: Grilled filet mignon tips served in a toasted pita with field greens, red onions, oregano, goat cheese and a side of jalapeño vinaigrette dressing ($11)
• Gaarden Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Fresh mozzarella, grilled tomato, spring mix and basil shallot vinaigrette, served on a whole-wheat ciabatta roll ($8.5)
Draft brews include Stone Ruination IPA and Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy, plus the signature Gaarden drink—a.k.a. the John Daly (Jeremiah Weed Sweet Tea vodka and lemonade). I’m intrigued.
1149 Lancaster Ave., Rosemont; (610) 525-1851, gulliftys.com.
Summer flash sale ... subscribe and save 50%
Limited time offer. New subscribers only.